Thursday, January 11, 2018

Who is that Woman?


She mystifies me, that woman,
holding her paint brush confidently in her left hand,
sitting as she does left leg over right, appearing poised and comfortable in her flowery dress, hair flying, bun loosely in place.

She looks like a beautiful tiger, or
an exceptional rose hanging over tall branches, alone and colorful.

I wonder what she is thinking, this woman of the late 1920's, an artist painting just a few years since American women could vote.  
Is she looking forward?

She might be aghast if her visionary powers are excellent.

Is she trying to forget?  While sitting comfortably in that brief time between two world wars.

Is she reveling in the present?
I hope so.





Oil painting on canvas by MJC
Water color on paper by MJC

2 comments:

  1. Nice painting, Mary. I am thinking that we are still looking like her when we do what we like to do most - 80 some years later!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brigitte. Lately, these women of the 1920's have been on my mind. I am wondering what they would think of our current times. And, yes, whether we are so very different, after all.

      Delete