Sunday, March 12, 2017

Scarcely A Day Has Gone By



Scarcely a day has gone by 
That
I do not think of you.
You are my rock of ages, my story, my history, 
my undocumented past, 
My imagined future.  
My one and only
There will never be another one of you, or us.
I know that we are once upon a time and not forever. 
We wonder who will leave first, who will be left behind.
Just in case it is I who goes first, I leave you this celebratory not-so-specific
funny sad happy wistful loving
note of times past and present, contemplating
lost dreams of the future.
The future will celebrate itself without me.
Just in case it is I who remain, I leave this note of times past and present, future
To remember that scarcely a day has gone by that 
I do not think of you.

Poem and painting by Mary Chamie.

No comments:

Post a Comment